[erlang-questions] ets vs. SMP memory effects

Jonathan Leivent jleivent@REDACTED
Tue Jun 4 03:03:21 CEST 2013

After reading the on-line doc on ets, I'm a bit confused about its
guarantees.  I understand that it guarantees atomicity and isolation for
operations on a single object.  However, what about a sequence of update
operations on different objects performed by the same process?  Are the
results of these operations guaranteed to be visible to other processes
in only the order in which they occur?  Or, might SMP-style
weakly-consistent memory - or even compiler/hardware operation
re-ordering - cause the updates to appear in a different order to other
processes?

-- Jonathan