[erlang-questions] Which communication ports does erlang use?

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Thu Jan 31 03:01:24 CET 2013

When running nodes separated by a firewall you'll need to open the port
4369 for access to epmd [1], and specify the range of ports that a node
behind a firewall can use for binding its distributed transport by using
the following kernel options:

    {kernel, [
        {inet_dist_listen_min, StartPort},
        {inet_dist_listen_max, EndPort}
    ]}

The [StartPort ... EndPort] range would be provisioned in your firewall.

Mnesia uses Erlang distributed transport and doesn't open any other
ports for replication.

Serge

[1] http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html