[erlang-questions] Message order and exit(Reason)

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Mon Jan 28 22:34:43 CET 2013

Dmitrii Dimandt wrote:

> The question is as following: Assume we have processes A and B which
> are linked. Process's A flag trap_exit is set to true. Let B process
> send a msg to A and then exit:
>
> PidA ! 'msg',
> exit(reason).
>
> What I wanna know if we can be shure that the process A will receive
> 'msg' and only after It {'EXIT', Pid, reason} will come ?

The order is guaranteed to be preserved here.

> Can
> we predict the ordering of msgs? I can't found any proofs in
> documentation, but I guess that it will work that way, but I need some
> proofs. Don't want to have race condition here.

Unfortunately our documentation lacked this information. In R16 the
following chapter will be part of the ERTS User's guide.

Cut from ERTS-5.10 User's Guide:

Richard Carlsson wrote:
> The only place I seem to find this actually described is in the old
> (never finished) Standard Erlang Specification Draft by Barklund and
> Virding. In brief, Thomas is right: with regards to propagation and
> order, exit messages are handled like regular messages. In fact, both
> are instances of what the spec calls Signals, and the ordering
> guarantees are valid for all Signals, not just messages.

The wording in 1.1 above is more or less "stolen" from the
Barklund/Virding spec <http://www.erlang.org/download/erl_spec47.ps.gz>.
Unfortunately the spec was never completed. I find the spec really
valuable. Hopefully, we will some day find the time to update and finish
it. Perhaps we could get some help from the original authors; hint hint :-)

Regards,
Rickard
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.