[erlang-questions] Variable bindings

Tyron Zerafa tyron.zerafa@REDACTED
Mon Jan 28 19:23:53 CET 2013

>>The problem is that funs don't normally _have_ code available
>>unless you compile the containing module with a special option.

>>Have you considered the alternative of accepting the *source code*
>>of a fun and parsing that?

I have considered this option but as far as possible we do not want to
change any syntax. The final objective is to have the same spawn(N,F)
syntax but which is capable of accepting and executing F on the remote node
irrelevant of whether the code is there or not.

>>Er, the free variables of a fun are _not_ the variables that are
>>in scope at its point of creation, they are that subset of those
>>variables that are *used* inside the fun.

>>What a fun _is_, conceptually, is a tuple containing a code reference
>>and a set of variable bindings.  If someone gives you a fun, you know
>>exactly what the values for those variables are because they are right
>>there.  A fun does not point back to the stack frame of its creator.

Our intention is to change exactly this; i.e. what fun actually _is_. We
are trying to change from the current ETF for fun to one containing also
the function's code tree or some other presentation. Since fun does not
point back to the stack frame, our current implementation is passing the
required environment variables as part of the fun's parameter list, thus
shadowing the original one. In practice

*λx:x+y *
*
*
becomes
*
*
*λx,y:x+y *<- this gets serialized and transferred. *
*

In regards to version consistency, we are not using the original module
name, but renaming to module@REDACTED This would not break anything on the
remote node. It goes without saying that any code transferred to the remote
node reflects this change in mod name.

Thanks for your insight :)