[erlang-questions] If you are homesick for object.selector

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Jan 28 18:08:27 CET 2013

On 01/28/2013 02:57 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Robert Virding
> <robert.virding@REDACTED> wrote:

Except that's completely different from what we'd like to have.

  *  We do not want a parent() mechanism.
  *  We do not want pointers or references.
  *  We do not want to be able to call functions.

Also note that with regards to Erlang, it's *not* syntax that prevents
this kind of behavior, but processes and message passing. Your process
can only handle so much.

We just need a data structure and associated syntax that's convenient
for semi-deep data structures, where the fields are clearly defined
(like a record), except field resolution would be performed at runtime
to allow chaining and thus easier pattern match and/or modification. And
ironically it could also easily solve the record upgrade problem,
because you'd have the fields at runtime.

Data manipulation is something that can make or break projects, and is
the reason why I stopped one of mine, because all the solutions you can
think of are light years away of what can be achieved with very little
language support.

Of course, language support means first acknowledging there is indeed a
problem, and I am not surprised to hit walls here, especially in the
"you just need functions" crowd (who don't seem to be aware of how nice
pattern matching in function clauses and guards are). So I'll experiment
on my end for a while and if it turns out that it works I might just use
this new language for the previously mentioned project. That'd certainly
motivate me enough to reboot it.

Have a nice day.

--
Loïc Hoguin