[erlang-questions] Message order and exit(Reason)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jan 28 10:24:32 CET 2013

Hi Dmitrii,

I think the following means that if A sends M1, M2 to B, then B will receive M1, M2 in the order of sending. It's not explicitly stated that exit messages are handled the same way as regular messages, though I think the default assumption should be that they are. Those here who have worked on model checking and whatnot, feel free to expound.

10.8  Is the order of message reception guaranteed?
Yes, but only within one process.
If there is a live process and you send it message A and then message B, it's guaranteed that if message B arrived, message A arrived before it.
On the other hand, imagine processes P, Q and R. P sends message A to Q, and then message B to R. There is no guarantee that A arrives before B. (Distributed Erlang would have a pretty tough time if this was required!)

http://www.erlang.org/faq/academic.html

Best,
Thomas