[erlang-questions] receiving output from a python shell

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Jan 28 00:49:17 CET 2013

I would still consider using erlport and the eval function to evaluate commands:

http://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html#eval

This will give you control over what you're doing.

Unless you're trying to literally screen-scrape Python. If that's your
goal, you'll want to run Python in interactive mode with the -i option
(man python).

1> P = erlang:open_port({spawn, "python -i"}, [stderr_to_stdout]).
#Port<0.516>
2> flush().
Shell got {#Port<0.516>,
           {data,"Python 2.7.3 (default, Aug  1 2012, 05:14:39) \n[GCC
4.6.3] on linux2\n"}}
Shell got {#Port<0.516>,
           {data,"Type \"help\", \"copyright\", \"credits\" or
\"license\" for more information.\n"}}
Shell got {#Port<0.516>,{data,">>> "}}
ok
3> erlang:port_command(P, "print 1\n").
true
4> flush().
Shell got {#Port<0.516>,{data,"1\n>>> "}}
ok

Garrett