[erlang-questions] Erlang VM Crash and Heart doesn't restart

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Fri Jan 25 18:55:11 CET 2013

Hi!

On 01/22/2013 04:38 PM, Eric Boyer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We're running R15B02 on Windows Server 2008 R2 on a mainly IO bound
> application. Occasionally when it get busy processing hundreds of
> files it will crash with the following event log entry:
>
> Faulting application name: erl.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
> 0x504492cf
> Faulting module name: beam.smp.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
> 0x50449201
> Exception code: 0xc0000005
> Fault offset: 0x00000000000c75f2
> Faulting process id: 0x9d3c
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf82413c26aeb
>
> There is no erl_crash.dump generated and the heart process does not
> restart the vm. Are there any ideas as to why this is happening or
> what can be done so that heart can properly restart the vm? I see the
> heart.exe process active with the correct pid for the erlang process
> but it doesn't seem to work in this case.

Is the erl process still running? Windows has a tendency to try to start
a debugger or wait for you to meditate over if you want to send a bug
report to Microsoft or whatnot. If the process does not really stop,
heart can not detect that it's dead immediately (as it is not dead).
Then it would wait for timeout. However, after the timeout it ought to
try starting a new vm (after trying to kill the process, which
ultimately fails if Windows has set the process in "Debugged"-mode).

If you start the Erlang node in a windows command shell, you should see
what Heart tries to do. It may be that the new node cannot be started
because of a distribution name conflict, in which case your
heart-command could try to unregister the nodename from epmd prior to
restarting the node. You should also try to run erlang:halt() in your
Erlang node to verify that the heart command really works. To force
unregister on epmd, epmd has to be started with the flag
-relaxed_command_check to begin with (so it has to be started manually
before starting the erlang node), then do epmd -stop <Nodename> before
starting the new Erlang node.

This looks like the VM crashing in a bad way, so it would be nice if you
could install a debugger on the system and connect it as a just in time
debugger, then mail me the stackdump or something.

I usually use Windbg, which is included in the Microsoft SDK. If you run
"Windbg -I" it installs itself as a just-in-time debugger and you could
possibly get a look at erl.exe's stack at the point where it fails. I
recommend adding this in "File->Synmbol File Path":
SRV*c:\SymbolCache*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;
after creating the directory c:\SymbolCache, otherwise you will get
corrupted stacks when you look into windows own code and the stacks of
Erlangs threads will often be unreadable.
> Thanks,
> Eric

Cheers,
/Patrik