[erlang-questions] Two questions: a. Recommended Application design b. Erlang memory maangement

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Thu Jan 24 19:51:44 CET 2013

An alternative to manual garbage collecting is to do all of the parsing of
this ephemeral data in a separate process that dies when it's no longer
needed. This is probably the best solution, and you could even tune its
min_heap_size when you spawn it such that no GC (or fewer GCs) will be
necessary.

Some other tuning options available are the spawn_opt (some of these can be
set globally too) fullsweep_after, min_heap_size, and min_bin_vheap_size.
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html

Here's some other resources with good information about the GC with varying
levels of detail:
http://www.erlang.org/faq/academic.html#id55803
http://prog21.dadgum.com/16.html
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-September/061051.html