[erlang-questions] cluster configuration, or dynamic (re)configuration of distributed application nodes

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta@REDACTED
Thu Jan 24 19:13:19 CET 2013

Hi,

we are about to investigate dynamic node reconfiguration of
distributed applications. Did somebody do that already? How does
kernel application react to application:set_env(kernel, ...)? Or is
there a more elegant approach? We have a quite dynamic cluster of
nodes, and we need one application running all the time. We have our
own solution which is quite simple, but it *seems* like it should be
better done in OTP way.

Reason: we have a "cluster manager" application, which collects the
cluster health status: started applications, requests per second,
various tests, etc. This information is updated every second via many
rpc calls to all the nodes.

It would be possible to have the same application running on all the
nodes, but then they all have the same information. Which is data
duplication. Not too many messages, but why repeat ourselves?

How do/would you approach this "cluster health" problem?

--
Motiejus Jakštys