[erlang-questions] installing to --prefix, but running symlinked somewhere else

Dirk Hörner dirker@REDACTED
Wed Jan 23 22:42:19 CET 2013

Hi all,

I am using erlang on Mac OS X and am using homebrew (a package manager,
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew) to keep my erlang installation
up-to-date. Now homebrew installs all packages into its own directory and
then symlinks the files into the right spot, like this:

Installed to (--prefix): /usr/local/Cellar/erlang/R15B03
Symlinked to and run in: /usr/local

With the default erlang build options, this makes erlang look for its app
under /usr/local/Cellar/erlang/R15B03/lib/erlang/lib. However third party
apps install into /usr/local/lib/erlang/lib, and erlang cannot find them
there.

Currently I am fixing this by crudely changing $ROOTDIR in
.../lib/erlang/bin/erl and .../lib/erlang/bin/start, but I am wondering if
there is a better way to do this? And if there is not, is my hack causing
any side effects I am not seeing yet?

Thanks,
Dirk