[erlang-questions] unexpected result of term_to_binary

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Tue Jan 22 06:39:07 CET 2013

On 22/01/2013, at 10:00 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> While we're on the subject - shouldn't we rename lists.
>
> stacks is a much better name - Erlang has no lists only stacks.

Let's see: every Lisp I've come across calls them lists,
Clean, Haskell, O'Caml, F#, ML, Prolog, Mercury, &c call
them lists, they *are* what the CS literature calls
singly-linked lists, and they are *not* what most people
think of as stacks, not being mutable.  In fact, the word
"list" seems to have been used for these things in
computing since about 1954.

> Lists is a stupid name :-)
>
> /Joe

I was going to make a quip on your name, but oddly enough,
Joseph means "he will add", and you _have_ added much (Erlang),
so I guess it's a good name for you.