[erlang-questions] Erlang4Android

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sun Jan 20 02:21:18 CET 2013

You are talking about simplicity, but also saying Pmods are great
because of arguments passed implicitly. Isn't implicitness the opposite
of simplicity? It requires a lot more knowledge and care to get it
working properly.

The more implicit things you have in a project, the more its complexity
increases, because you have to look around all the time, or remember
many things to understand how it works. It makes it harder for newcomers
of course, but also for you, because the range of things you can mess up
increases.

In the case of this catchall function, for example, you increase
complexity because you will have to also make sure to handle the calls
that you don't want. Before you had one problem: writing proper exported
functions. Now you have this additional problem: make sure other calls
result in an expected error. Because you have two problems now, that
means you can't really pattern match the arguments directly, if the
pattern match fails you'll end up throwing an undefined function error
when you instead wanted a badarg. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

How does increasing the range in which you can make mistakes improve
your productivity? If there's more chances for bugs to happen, then you
will have more bugs. How is that more maintainable? You maintain it
more, for sure, but I don't think that's the intended effect. The most
maintainable code is the one you never need to look at again.

Call it puritanism if you want. I call it pragmatism.

Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy
Nine Nines
http://ninenines.eu