[erlang-questions] Terms to binary and viceversa

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Jan 17 00:38:35 CET 2013

The pattern:

    <<$A, BinPid:27/binary, Data/binary>>

Should do it. Then you can get `Pid` by calling `binary_to_term/1` on
`BinPid`. By default, the size of the `binary` type of matching is in
bytes, so you should be extracting it fine. To get it in bits, you'd
need to specify `BinPid:216/binary-unit:1`, for example.

In your case, what you were doing is returning `Pid` as a 216 bits
integer (the default type), not something you can use in any useful way.

Regards,
Fred.