[erlang-questions] what is the "race condition bug in core Erlang" mentioned by @damienkatz?

Raoul Duke raould@REDACTED
Fri Jan 11 20:16:37 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> So, this is a hard-to-find-bug. When you fix all easy-to-find-bugs there are
> only hard bugs. Erlang has all easy bugs fixed, left only hard bugs. This is
> why we will hear more and more that some horrible bug inside Erlang VM is
> found and fixed.

(not to disagree, just wondering out loud.) these kinds of bugs always
make me wonder if they are there and hard because the design isn't
helping as much as it should. when i hear "race condition" i think
"gosh why aren't we all using dataflow?" for example, not that it
might have any bearing on this particular case. (of course the
dataflow core would have to be bug free ha ha.)

> Was it a problem to open very simple erlang sources and find that prim_file is designed for non-blocking, not for speed?

i thought the issue was an actual bug, not a design choice?