[erlang-questions] what is the "race condition bug in core Erlang" mentioned by @damienkatz?

Dmitry Demeshchuk demeshchuk@REDACTED
Fri Jan 11 09:23:03 CET 2013

Sorry for my whole answer being too sarcastic.

He asked that on twitter several months ago:
https://twitter.com/damienkatz/statuses/247816369863798785

I searched if he actually asked anything on mailing list (here, or at
erlang-bugs), but he didn't. And there doesn't seem to be a thread that's
related to the bug he mentioned, in either of the lists. Quite a healthy
approach to serious bugs, huh?

As a matter of a small off-topic, that's a weird article written by a
person who's making a weird product. And, while my vision of Couchbase may
be way too subjective, the post has obvious flaws:

1. No links. Well, one link to a page with strange benchmarks, two links to
Couchbase site and one link to the author's twitter. Wonderful.

2. No actual proofs of the provided statements. "C is great", "C is
high-level enough", "C has extremely professional community", and so on.
Don't get me wrong, I like C, it's really great for some purposes. But
there are a lot of tasks that C is not suited for (web services, admin
scripts, applications with complicated business logic, and fo on and so
on). High-level? Come on, it's almost a cross-processor assembler, still
highly dependent on your processor architecture and OS. Professional
community? Is that why so many programs have tons of memory leaks and
segfaults?

3. He mentioned some "bug in core Erlang". Why no references to the mailing
list, again? No explanation of what exactly was happening. Did they contact
OTP team at all, or just were trying to fix it themselves?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Anton Lebedevich <mabrek@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In the article
> http://damienkatz.net/2013/01/the_unreasonable_effectiveness_of_c.html
> he writes about "race condition bug in core Erlang".
>
> I wonder is that bug known/reported/fixed? Is there more detailed
> description of it?
>
> Regards,
> Anton Lebedevich.

Best regards,