[erlang-questions] what is the "race condition bug in core Erlang" mentioned by @damienkatz?

Jeremy Ong jeremy@REDACTED
Fri Jan 11 08:41:29 CET 2013

To quote the section of interest:

"At Couchbase <http://couchbase.com/> we recently spent easily 2+
man/months dealing with a crash in the Erlang VM. We wasted a ton of time
tracking down something that was in the core Erlang implementation, never
sure what was happening or why, thinking perhaps the flaw was something in
our own plug-in C code, hoping it was something we could find and fix. It
wasn't, it was a race condition bug in core Erlang. We only found the
problem via code inspection of Erlang. This is a fundamental problem in any
language that abstracts away too much of the computer."

I'm also interested in what he was doing to come across this "bug."