[erlang-questions] application:get_env return undefined

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed Jan 9 16:06:00 CET 2013

A config file has the syntax:

[{Application1, [{Par11,Val11},...]},
...,
{ApplicationN, [{ParN1,ValN1},...]}].

which means that the application is not specified in the file name but in the data in the actual file. So you can have configuration data for many applications in one file. So in your case you have defined configuration data for the application 'my_app_config' with key1. So if we define our minimal application my_app with config file in my_app.app and app.config:

$ cat my_app.app
{application,my_app,
[{description,"My App"},
{env,[{key1,"val .app"}]}
]}.
$ cat app.config
[{my_app,[{key1,"val .config"}]}].

Then we can do:

$ erl
Erlang R15B (erts-5.9) [source] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.9 (abort with ^G)
1> application:start(my_app).
ok
2> application:get_env(my_app,key1).
{ok,"val .app"}

while:

$ erl -config app.config
Erlang R15B (erts-5.9) [source] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.9 (abort with ^G)
1> application:start(my_app).
ok
2> application:get_env(my_app,key1).
{ok,"val .config"}

Check in http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html
more specifically:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html#id74278

The problem of finding the file still remains of course.

Robert

P.S. Got a bit longer than expected here.