[erlang-questions] Unused local function kills the process when the code updates

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Wed Jan 9 12:25:17 CET 2013

Hi,

As you changed the code and reloaded it, your fun, which is held in the
process belongs to old code. The function signature has changed when you
changed and loaded the new version of the module. When you reload again,
you need to purge the old code, which is referenced by your process and
the process is killed. The fact that the fun has not changed textually
is only a guarantee if it does no local calls and has no environment. As
soon as the code changes the fun's will get new signatures as there is a
hash of the module included in the fun signature, there is no
optimization to keep fun signatures for this case.

If you want long living fun's just change the fun to a module fun:

register(?MODULE, spawn_link(?MODULE, loop, [fun ?MODULE:logger/2])).

Cheers,
/Patrik