[erlang-questions] error_logger heap overflow

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Jan 7 18:35:29 CET 2013

On 01/07/2013 10:01 AM, Bogdan Andu wrote:
> Sorry for delayed response.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot use the work around presented because is experimental and the system is ready to be launched into production, so I cannot anymore switch back to lager, although is more heap overflow resistant than error_logger is.
>
> I stick with error_logger because errors are easier to read and I am accustomed with it.
>

> log rotation is solved with newsyslog.
>

> What makes lager's messages 'hard to read' is the lack of error formatting.
>

> What I would expect from lager:
> 1.     lager:notice() send the message in /var/log/notice_log
>          lager:error() send the message in /var/log/error_log
>          lager:info() send the message in /va/log/info_log
> 2. crash messages to appear only in /var/log/crash_log
> 3. this sould be configurable
> 4. more error formatting, like error_log has, in order to be easier to read
>

> Why I want that? Because error has higher priority that notice, so all messages founded in /var/log/error_log are also founded in
> /var/log/notice_log. I do not want duplicated error messages even if they are truncated.
>
> Bogdan

Recent lager allows you to do just that:

   https://github.com/basho/lager/pull/95

   =debug - only the debug level

Doesn't seem to be talked about in the README unfortunately.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy