[erlang-questions] messages manipulatio

Jayson Barley jayson.barley@REDACTED
Wed Feb 27 00:45:40 CET 2013

I did something similar for a gated worker pool. It allowed me to slow the
incoming data to only as fast as my workers are able to process it.

>From the worker process:
handle_cast(get_data, State = #state{data=Data}) ->
    gp_server:child_data(Data),
    {noreply, State#state{data=undefined}};
handle_cast(run, State = #state{worker_fun=Fun, data_provider={Module,
Function, Args}, data=undefined})     Input = apply(Module, Function, Args),
    Data = apply(Fun, Input),
    gp_server:child_ready(self()),
    {noreply, State#state{data=Data}}.

>From the server process:
handle_call(get_data, _From, State = #state{ready_children=[Child | Rest],
working_children=Working}) ->
    Reply = gen_server:call(Child, get_data),
    {reply, Reply, State#state{ready_children=Rest, working_children=[Child
| Working]}}.

handle_cast({ready, Child}, State = #state{ready_children=Children,
working_children=Working}) ->
    Rest = lists:delete(Child, Working),
    {noreply, State#state{ready_children=[Child | Children],
working_children=Rest}}.

It worked well for how I was using it.