[erlang-questions] NIF appropriateness, was: Re: Messing with heart. Port and NIF, which one is better?

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Thu Feb 14 11:30:50 CET 2013

I'm starting a new'ish thread to mention a bit of experience that Basho
has had with NIFs in Riak.

Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:

>> And the second question, Is there any good argument to use NIF
>> instead of creating a connected process for a port.

gs> The NIF interface is appropriate for defining simple functions in C.
gs> There are lots of 3rd party libraries where NIFs are used to plugin
gs> in long running, multi-threaded facilities, but this seems misguided
gs> to me.

"Simple functions in C" is a tricky matter ... and it has gotten tricker
with the Erlang/OTP releases R15 and R16.

In R14 and earlier, it wasn't necessarily a horrible thing if you had C
code (or C++ or Fortran or ...) that executed in NIF context for half a
second or more.  If your NIF was executing for that long, you knew that
you were interfering with the Erlang scheduler Pthread that was
executing your NIF's C/C++/Fortran/whatever code.  That can cause some
weird delays in executing other Erlang processes, but for some apps,
that's OK.

However, with R15, the internal guts of the Erlang process scheduler
Pthreads has changed.  Now, if you have a NIF that executes for even a
few milliseconds, the scheduler algorithm can get confused.  Instead of
blocking an Erlang scheduler Pthread, you both block that Pthread *and*
you might cause some other scheduler Pthreads to decide incorrectly to
go to sleep (because there aren't enough runnable Erlang processes to
bother trying to schedule).  Your 8/16/24 CPU core box can find itself
down to only 3 or 2 active Erlang scheduler Pthreads when there really
is more than 2-3 cores of work waiting.

So, suddenly your "simple functions in C" are now "simple functions in C
that must finish execution in about 1 millisecond or less".  If your C
code might take longer than that, then you must use some kind of thread
pool to transfer the long-running work away from the Erlang scheduler
Pthread.  Not simple at all, alas.

-Scott