[erlang-questions] Erlang I/O and NIF

alexander_koch_log alexander_koch_log@REDACTED
Thu Feb 14 08:02:42 CET 2013

Hi,

Came across this changelog https://github.com/basho/bitcask/pull/76/commits

I know there have been multiple discussion on this mailing list
regarding pure erlang I/O implementation vs NIF based implementation. I
also understand that using NIF would block the erlang VM, hence it is
not an easy choice to decide which approach to leverage in an
application where lots of disk I/O should occur. This gives the
impression that Erlang may not be at all the right choice for any
application doing lots of I/O, in your opinion, does this statement hold
true ?

Most of these posts date from 2010 and I was curious whether this was
still the case for Erlang as of today (as stated in the commit). Are
they any work in the pipeline to improve disk I/O ? Is it safe to assume
that "reasonable" performance is achievable when doing binary reads with
erlang based I/O?

Thanks,

Alex