[erlang-questions] Best actor libraries in other languages?

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Wed Feb 13 01:42:49 CET 2013

On 11/02/13 10:09 AM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> Of course Erlang has a killer actors library as a core component of
> itself. Sadly, Erlang is not always an option (e.g., customer requires a
> JVM language). Which actor libraries in other languages come close to
> Erlang's in terms of:
>
> * Syntax conciseness (spawn, !, receive)
> * Polymorphism (receiving different kinds of messages)
> * Fault-tolerance (GC per actor, actor crash doesn't crash the system)

Akka and Scala specifically offer all the above.

> * Live updates (different code versions up at the same time, hot code
> updates)

This can be done on the JVM, as I understand it (JRebel etc) but I can't
speak from experience. Certainly it's not as designed-in and natural as
Erlang.

--Toby