[erlang-questions] Dynamically access record fields

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Sat Feb 9 23:33:26 CET 2013

Hello,

I am not precisely sure what you mean by saying "Erlang doesn't seem to support this …"
Record is a syntax sugar for tuples, all operations applicable for tuples are also valid for records.
Keep in-mind that tuple elements are addressable.

-module(rec).

-export([test/0]).

-record(foo, {a, b, c}).

test() ->
   V1 = #foo{a="A", b="B", c="C"},
   io:format("rec ~p~n",     [V1]),
   io:format("rec got ~p~n", [element(#foo.a, V1)]),
   V2 = setelement(#foo.a, V1, "A+"),

   io:format("rec ~p~n",     [V2]),
   io:format("rec got ~p~n", [element(#foo.b, V2)]),
   V3 = setelement(#foo.b, V2, "B+"),

   io:format("-> ~p~n",     [V3]).

- Dmitry