[erlang-questions] "Automatic" recompile app from a console

Sergej Jurecko sergej.jurecko@REDACTED
Sat Feb 2 09:58:16 CET 2013

We actually were not aware of sync and developed our own similar solution.
It simply works by monitoring ~/ebin, ~/etc, ~/src,~/include,~/apps/../ebin,~/apps/.../src,~/apps/.../dtl,~/deps/../ebin
We have a lot of django template files and we put them in dtl folders. They get compiled with erlydtl.
If a .hrl file gets changed, all source files get compiled for that project as well. For instance hrlname.hrl, will cause all sources that start with hrlname_ to get compiled.
Same with base django template files. if file name is projectname_base.dtl, every .dtl file that starts with projectname_ will get compiled.

We use one large repository for all projects and because there are quite a few apps at the moment, we have simple C/C++ programs that use platform specific APIs for file notifications (FSEvents for osx, inotify for linux). They are pretty trivial one file sources that get compiled automatically on erlang startup if they are not compiled yet. Then they are run with open_port and communicate via stdout.

If anyone wants to make use of those C/C++ file notification programs we can gladly open source them.

Sergej