[erlang-questions] Matthew Sackman's "cut" proposal

Erik Søe Sørensen eriksoe@REDACTED
Mon Dec 16 18:47:24 CET 2013

Disclaimer 1: I haven't followed the "cut"/partial application discussion
up until now.
Disclaimer 2: Surface syntax bikeshed!

Anyway, what I'm really responding to is these parts:
"""
        fun F(A1, .., Am)/N.

1/ Should N be the arity of the resulting fun, or the arity of the
partially applied function with *all* its arguments included? That may be
confusing.
"""

by noticing that the confusion would (for most people) go away (at least in
the "inclusive or exclusive?" respect) if the syntax was

        fun F(A1, .., Am)+K

(in which case N=m+K, obviously).
I know that (as far as I'm aware) the plus sign has not hitherto been
associated with function syntax, and there may be any number of historical
reasons to not to it this way (of which RO'K perhaps can provide a few
:-)), but then again the slash also doubles as an arithmetic operator. New
meaning - new symbol - potential for less confusion overall.

/Erik