[erlang-questions] Binary Erlang External Term serialization in Javascript

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Mon Dec 16 01:25:44 CET 2013

Fortunately (oh no! :-O) not everyone is concerned about talking to
mainstream enterprise. If you have a server component implemented in
Erlang, why incur the trouble of dealing with a text-based protocol (JSON,
XML, etc), if the other end can happily deal with native Erlang binary
(de)serialization?  Ssince this method has lower overhead than JSON, and
seems to bring Javascript a step closer to Erlang, I can think of many
cases where I'd use this approach for writing Web GUIs using websockets
which need asynchronous messaging, and need to display very dynamic data
initiated by server.