[erlang-questions] Elixir Protocols in Erlang & a Strange Warning

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Dec 13 19:47:30 CET 2013

What you have implemented *is not protocols*, so the details of your
implementation of "non-extensible protocols" are irrelevant. I certainly
have not said that it is not possible in Erlang, because it *obviously* is
possible to have protocols given that Elixir does it with the same runtime.
What I have said is that it's not idiomatic to do such things, so you
should probably try and solve your problems in a different way, with more
concrete implementations (such as explicit passing of funs or {Module,
State} tuples).

As Fred said, there's a simple mechanical transformation from tuple funs
(what you have called "stateful modules") to standard Erlang code. Fred's
translation is slightly off though, for some reason the module name is
included in the argument tuple.

%% Using tuple calls (*strongly* discouraged)
f(M, Arg) -> M:call(Arg).

%% Without tuple calls
f({M, State}, Arg) -> M:call(Arg, {M, State}).

I am suggesting that what you have proposed is bad practice. There are
other ways to implement exactly what you have shown with only a little bit
more syntax.

See http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/functions.html for official
documentation on tuple funs. In summary: they exist and are supported by
the runtime for compatibility reasons, but their implementation is slow and
their use is strongly discouraged.

-bob