[erlang-questions] Binary:split and re:split woes

Carl-Johan Kjellander carljohan.kjellander@REDACTED
Thu Dec 5 14:09:30 CET 2013

http://www.erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/binaryhandling.html

In section 4.1: A *sub binary* is created by split_binary/2 and when a
binary is matched out in a binary pattern. A sub binary is a reference into
a part of another binary (refc or heap binary, never into a another sub
binary). Therefore, matching out a binary is relatively cheap because the
actual binary data is never copied.

So hopefully it is cheap. I also hate the beginning <<>>, so annoying. I
have code in tons of places that removes it.
/cjk