[erlang-questions] Testing a large, heterogeneous system

Thu Aug 1 11:25:58 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM, David Welton <davidnwelton@REDACTED>wrote:

> Erlang, in our project, sits in the middle: it offers a web interface
> that uses lots of Javascript via Chicago Boss, manages some web
> sockets, talks to a database (Postgres), interacts with several C
> nodes, and also manages various external programs via erlexec and
> open_port.  To add some complexity, specialized hardware is involved
> and dealt with via the C programs/nodes.

I am a fan of building virtualized environments rather than mocking. That
is, you take something like

http://www.vagrantup.com/

and then you build up the parts which your system consists of and make sure
you can deploy code inside your virtual environment. For Postgres, look at
pg_virtuelenv. Most of the C-nodes can perhaps be pushed into the virtual
environment. The specialized hardware is usually nasty and you may have to
mock that in order to get correct operation.

But I usually hate mocking with a passion and much prefer to run
virtualized setups. It also forces you to think about ease-of-development
in general as it forces you to have an environment on a box.