[erlang-questions] "New" vs. "old" console behavior: bug or feature?

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Thu Apr 25 19:20:32 CEST 2013

Ignas Vyšniauskas <baliulia@REDACTED> wrote:

iv> Currently
iv> I've worked around this by forcing a `SHELL=screen` variable in the
iv> boot script and it seems to do the trick, but I don't really like
iv> this approach. Any suggestions?

Ignas, the Expect script that I put in my original/long message to this
list contains a magic workaround.  In the case where run_erl (on box A)
is started via SSH from a remote box (call it box B).

If box B uses "ssh -t" to force the allocation of a pseudo-tty on box A
before executing "run_erl", then the problem goes away because the VM
can use the new shell.

If box B uses the ssh defaults, which on (all/most??) platforms does not
force allocation a pty, the problem exists.

Using 'screen' to force allocation of a pty is another hack.  Using
"script" would be the same kind of hack.  I agree, there's all a bit
disagreeable.

-Scott