[erlang-questions] MySQL driver

Dave Smith dizzyd@REDACTED
Thu Apr 11 00:41:10 CEST 2013

Re: pooling -- there's always bugs...ALWAYS BUGS. We were using poolboy at
Basho and thought that it was so simple/basic that bugs should be easy to
sort out...until Dr. Hughes walked into the room and pulled a Concurrent
Debuggerator 3000 from his black bag (aka QuickCheck) and found 5
significant concurrency bugs in as many minutes...and this was on a library
that only does pooling and nothing else. So...unless you tell me that Dr.
Hughes has been over this pooling code with the aforementioned tool, I will
eye the pooling code with a raised eyebrow. :)

Broadly, I would suggest looking at these forks as being useful to merge in:

csrl - pooling fixes, edge cases, etc. (underscores my point about pooling,
but I digress)
jlarky - looks like a opscode branch that has some good bug fixes
taybin - adds better UTF support (it's a big patch though, so probably
needs some work)
rflynn - bug fix for float encoding
gar1t - bug fixes + polish on API

What are the competing approaches on transactions?

D.