[erlang-questions] Preallocated binary — save memory

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Wed Apr 10 08:58:12 CEST 2013

There is a problem in erlyvideo with generating mpeg-ts.

I have list of video frames, they are binaries of 4K - 100K bytes size with
some additional metadata. I need to split all these binaries in chunks of
about 184 bytes and create lots of such chunks.

When mpeg-ts transformation is written in C, large binary is allocated
(size = sum(frame_size)*C) and all frames with additional data are written
to this block chunk by chunk.

Only one memory allocation is done and only one copy is done.

When I write it in erlang, lots (thousands) of small binaries are allocated
and iolist_to_binary makes another copy with another allocation.

May it be a good idea to add nif function that returns large preallocated
binary and then generate such data with <<Data/binary, Chunk/binary>> so
that no reallocation is done?