[erlang-questions] Mnesia: Whether it is good for my application! help?

aman mangal mangalaman93@REDACTED
Thu Apr 4 04:49:29 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response!
On one side I tend to use mnesia because it is free and can be used on
distributive nodes, on the other hand I am not very much aware of the
shortcoming of mnesia. So there is always a question in front of me whether
to what extend can mneisa handle things easily. I tried reading some
article on internet like learnyousomeerlang.com, looked at erlang
documentation but couldn't understand the limitations of mnesia. It will be
very nice if you can give me some pointers where I can understand the
internals of mnesia properly and use it accordingly.

About my back up node, the process group has some specific name or id. I'll
prefix the table names with the unique id. Each process group serves a
specific group of people(say). I am using back up node for failover case so
that I don't lose data. It is important not to lose data. Are you saying
that saving it on the disk on the same node is enough? No need to store on
the other node? disk failure is rare and in that case I've data in
RAM(mnesia). The capacity of servers like RAM, disk space can be assumed as
much as we want.

Aman Mangal
3rd year Undergraduate
IIT Bombay