[erlang-questions] Erlang Distribution

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Sun Sep 30 01:31:26 CEST 2012

2012/9/29 Hollin Wilkins <hrw7@REDACTED>

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to the mailing list. I've written several small libraries and
> servers in Erlang, and I am interested in learning more about its internals.
> Mainly, I am wondering if there are any papers on the distribution
> protocol for forming clusters on Erlang nodes. I have tried looking at the
> net_kernel and related source files to figure out how it works. But this
> code is quite complex, and I would understand it better with some sort of
> paper or companion guide to explain the protocol at a higher level.

If your looking for internals and descriptions of the protocol I can give
you a few pointers:
 * http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_dist_protocol.html - Description
of the distribution protocol
 * http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_ext_dist.html - Description of
the external format used by the protocol

You can find a description of the handshake protocol for erlang
distribution in a "internal_doc" folder in the source code. See
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/lib/kernel/internal_doc/distribution_handshake.txt

An EU Project, called the Release project (http://www.release-project.eu/),
has a work package focusing on Distributed Erlang. You can find the current
research here http://www.release-project.eu/documents/D3.1.pdf

// Björn-Egil