[erlang-questions] [erlang-bugs] bug in code:lib_dir

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Tue Sep 18 13:57:32 CEST 2012

Joe,

When I wrote the code supporting ERL_LIBS that got included in the code
server (*), it was explicitly designed to iteratively check for paths
only containing "ebin" child directories (see the
code_server:get_user_lib_dirs_1/0) before adding them to the loader
path.  Therefore I wouldn't consider the behavior you mentioned to be a
bug but rather a feature.

Initially I wrote it in a way that checked for directories containing
"*.app" files, and included those.  However, I found cases when certain
libraries didn't come with "*.app" files, but merely contained
"ebin/*.beam" bytecode files, so the ebin directory checking was more
reliable and conventional.

In your case, since 'b' application doesn't seem to have neither b.app
nor b/ebin.  Should it be considered a valid code path (there's nothing
to load for the code server)?  If so, what is the right selection
criteria that would avoid bloating the loader's path?

Serge

(*) http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/R12B/lib/kernel-2.12.3/doc/html/notes.html