[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang/SP v0.0.1

Zabrane Mickael zabrane3@REDACTED
Sun Sep 16 20:33:08 CEST 2012

Hey Jay,

> I plan to add a simple tutorial to show how to use the existing patterns,
> based on parsing an HTTP request sent by a browser.

That will be great. Parsing HTTP request is well know problem
and we can compare Co-ops with other solutions.

>> Finally, what advantages the esp-cache (https://github.com/duomark/erlangsp/tree/master/apps/examples/esp_cache) offers compared to ordinary cache implementations?
>>

> Flexibility, concurrency and a lesson that what works in imperative
> approaches is not necessarily the best approach for functional
> languages. I believe most people don't have the hardware to see
> an advantage of this type of cache in the general case yet.
>
> This was a proof-of-concept that exercised the library and tried to
> challenge the assumptions built in the initial API. It was based
> on https://github.com/mattsta/pcache which was in turn based on an
> earlier paper I had written for ICFP 2006 in response to an erlang list
> question of how to implement an LRU cache (my answer was don't,
> think in terms of erlang's preferences and make a concurrent cache
> with each datum implementing an idle timeout).
>
> The esp_cache implementation is not yet complete as it does not
> have the default timeout for expiration (this should be generated in
> the M:F(A) that generates the datum so that it has the opportunity
> to be based on the cost of the generation function and memory size
> and can be set independently for each datum).
>
> [...]

Thanks for the useful explanation.

> Some examples of lessons that can be taught:
>
> 1) The M:F(A) delay to generate a cached item is out of band from other requests
> 2) What happens when a new, slow to obtain datum spikes in requests and directory races arise?
> 3) How do different directory structures compare (a single process/function is all that is changed)
> 4) Replacement policy other than idle expiration is not provided, add external policy which injects events
> 5) Mirror request statistics in the population of cached items by replicating a datum process after N requests
> 6) Show how a requester of a cached item can asynchronously cause it to be handed to a different receiver
> 7) Implement a lookup API on the resulting delivered datum process, so that each cached item is a collection of data
>
> This approach _may_ be useful in production when most of the following are true:
>
> 1) You have many cores (at least 10% of the cache population?)
> 2) Extracting a datum is very expensive either in time or memory
> 3) The structure of each datum is large, complex or possibly is another entire data structure with its own lookup API
> or 3) The datum is a dynamically changing value with the latest value needed by multiple receivers
> 4) Communicating the datum via erlang messages is not too costly in terms of copying costs
> 5) The rate with which data is desired does not exceed the erlang messaging speed
> 6) Most concurrent requests route to different cached datum instances (use replicated processes to balance hotspots)
>
> Don't forget that co-ops can output to other co-ops, so you may cascade any of the above enhanced caches!

Yum, that's the idea behind Flow-based programming.

Regards,
Zabrane