[erlang-questions] Style wars: junk comments

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Sep 13 03:38:57 CEST 2012

Some Schemes also allow things like:

(define (fib x)
    (define (fib-rec n a b)
       (cond [(= n 0) b]
             [true (fib-rec (- n 1) b (+ a b))]))
    (fib-rec x 0 1))

which can be called as(fib 4). This allows to define private or helper
functions within the context of their main function, without needing
destructive assignment or whatever, and then later on executing it.
Python allows something similar:

def fib(x):
     def fib_rec(x, a, b):
         if x == 0:
             return b
         else:
             return fib_rec(x-1, b, a+b)
     return fib_rec(x, 0, 1)

though it would be nicer if Python indeed had tail recursion ;) Whether
the functions come before or after the final higher-level call doesn't
especially matter to me, but code becomes way nicer to read to me when
described that way.

You can separate one-use helpers from module-wide helpers that way, too.

Nothing would keep us from doing something similar in Erlang iff
anonymous functions were not so anonymous (and if self-recursion in
anonymous function wasn't that annoying to read).