[erlang-questions] Style wars: junk comments

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Wed Sep 12 12:51:33 CEST 2012

On 12 Sep 2012, at 12:27, ok@REDACTED wrote:

>> "Reading code on paper" has already been mentioned some times in this
>> thread.
>> But really people read code on paper, nowadays?
>
> Yes, me, lots.

The problem is often the same when reading code in a tty (which typically
defaults to 80x25). If I need to browse code from a command line, on a
laptop with a 15" screen, I do tend to mutter a few curses in the direction
of programmers who seem to think that everyone is sitting in front of
a lineup of >27" screens, just because they happen to. ;-)

This is hardly a new problem. In my first serious project, I recall an incident
where the coders of a UI had become too enamored with their new 17"
screens, and completely forgot that the most important users were using
Mac SE30s (with a 9" screen), for the simple reason that they had to
jump out of airplanes with them.

A spicy brew of fighter-pilot language was hurled at the developers when
it was discovered that the new decision support system was unusable on
anything but the very latest, sexiest monitors that only the developers had.*

BR,
Ulf W

* As you can guess, this was in the 90s, when a 17" monitor was indeed sexy.

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com