[erlang-questions] Increase quality by tagging release candidates?

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Thu Nov 29 21:42:30 CET 2012

Hi there!

I'm curious; would pushing and tagging release candidates to GitHub for
user testing be worthwhile?

We already do this for major-versions, i.e. R14A, R15A and soonish R16A,
and we get some useful information from this. I want to encourage people to
test our otp HEAD at GitHub when nearing a release. Especially those we say
are release-candidates, i.e. R*A-releases. I also think we should start
tagging those as release candidates, i.e. R15A-RC1, R15A-RC2, etc, further
making the point of a release candidate so we don't have users taking a
release candidate for production .. or include it in a distro.

Now, should we also do this for maint-releases also? At Erlang/OTP we have
*extensive* testing on a multitude of operating systems, architectures and
configurations. We can however, always test even more. =)

Normally we have "code-freeze" a couple of weeks before a release and then
a stabilization phase to iron out, hopefully, the last few glitches.

I'm thinking, at code-freeze - push what we have, tag it and notify you via
this or other medias that we have a src-state that contains more signal
than noise and we wish that you test it against your product and your
testcases. Hopefully, you could get information back to us by saying
*thumbs up* or more importantly saying "I'm concerned about this behavior
here .." if you encounter something worrisome.

The window to do changes are small at that point and we would certainly
only correct things that are apparent bugs - correcting one thing runs the
risk of creating even bigger, unforeseen, problems. Ultimately some sort of
risk/reward decision will be taken by us.

Is this of intrest? Should we start tagging release-candidates? Would you
be interested to test release candidates on your products and let us know
problems before a release?

I think it would lead to even better product quality.

Regards,
Björn-Egil