[erlang-questions] Erlang initiated kernel panic on OSX

Marc Worrell marc@REDACTED
Tue Nov 27 15:51:55 CET 2012

I am using the default OS X  Terminal.app

Didn't test this with OS X 10.7+, with 10.6.x and earlier it was a sure kernel panic.

- Marc

On 27 nov. 2012, at 15:16, acidbriggs@REDACTED wrote:

> Which Terminal application are you using? I have seen other references to this panic while using iTerm2 and tmux. Perhaps this problem just appears for me when using Erlang, but perhaps it's the terminal application itself. I am using iTerm2 at the moment. I haven't tried with OS X's native Terminal yet (and I am also not all that keen on trying to crash my current machine as I really don't want to corrupt HFS+). I will try this evening with a Mac that can be used for such experiments.
>

> On Nov 26, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Marc Worrell <marc@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> With me that crash was reproducible when I killed the terminal where the beam.smp was running.
>> Guess a SIGHUP to beam.smp might be enough (didn't try it…)
>>
>> - Marc
>>
>> On 26 nov. 2012, at 21:28, acidbriggs@REDACTED wrote:
>>
>>> Back in March of 2010 it was reported that it was possible to initiate a kernel panic on OS X 10.6.2 with Erlang.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? This is still happening in OS X 10.8.2 with Erlang R15B02. I've had it happen on all three of my Macs when working in Emacs and killing an Erlang shell in a buffer in a non-clean way.
>>>
>>> I know that the problem was reported to Apple but we know how that is.
>>>
>>> Perhaps someone has some sort of patch that can be applied to Erlang that can stop it from exploiting this flaw?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time,
>>>

>>> Briggs
>>>

>>> The original thread (http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2010-March/050112.html) stated:
>>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Erlang R13B04 it's possible to cause a
>>> kernel panic using the following steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Start new terminal window
>>> 2. erl +K true -s crypto
>>> 3. Cmd-W (close the terminal window without stopping erlang)
>>>
>>> Alternatively, if you're running SL 10.6.2 and Erlang R13B03:
>>>
>>> 1. Start new terminal window
>>> 2. erl +K true -s crypto