[erlang-questions] Erlang initiated kernel panic on OSX

acidbriggs@REDACTED acidbriggs@REDACTED
Mon Nov 26 21:28:58 CET 2012

Back in March of 2010 it was reported that it was possible to initiate a kernel panic on OS X 10.6.2 with Erlang.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? This is still happening in OS X 10.8.2 with Erlang R15B02. I've had it happen on all three of my Macs when working in Emacs and killing an Erlang shell in a buffer in a non-clean way.

I know that the problem was reported to Apple but we know how that is.

Perhaps someone has some sort of patch that can be applied to Erlang that can stop it from exploiting this flaw?

Thanks for your time,

Briggs

The original thread (http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2010-March/050112.html) stated:

Greetings,

Using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Erlang R13B04 it's possible to cause a
kernel panic using the following steps:

1. Start new terminal window
2. erl +K true -s crypto
3. Cmd-W (close the terminal window without stopping erlang)

Alternatively, if you're running SL 10.6.2 and Erlang R13B03:

1. Start new terminal window
2. erl +K true -s crypto
3. Cmd-Q (quit the terminal app without stopping erlang)

This appears to work with either 32 or 64 bit builds of Erlang.

Thanks,

D.