[erlang-questions] Free Erlang e-learning for Universities

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Mon Nov 19 14:20:04 CET 2012

Hi All,

If you are considering teaching Erlang as part of your university curriculum, you should get in touch. We have been working with universities for the past 6 months, offering free Erlang e-learning to intermediate and final year students who are interested in studying Erlang; or to academic institutions covering parallel and functional programming, distributed programming, multi-core programming, programming paradigms, and more.

This E-Learning offering is the result of a joint two year project with Prof. Simon Thompson of the University of Kent, in Canterbury, UK. It consists of 8 hours of videos, screen casts, interactive quizzes and exercises with immediate feedback and assessment of the code (We run a static analysis on the code, unit and QuickCheck tests, type checks and visualize processes and message passing using javascript). We cover sequential and concurrent programming, error handling, distribution, software upgrade and ETS tables.
This course is integrated with the Erlang Programming book, published by O'Reilly.
2.	We request you to pass this email to all relevant students at your University.
3.	To access the elearning facility for free, the student needs to do the two things below:
- register to the portal, using their University email address and not a private one, at:
http://elearning.erlang-solutions.com/login/signup.php
- send an email notification toelearning@REDACTED  requesting free access.

When registering, the students can only get the free offer if they use their University email address, so that we can easily identify them in the list of users.
4.	Fyi, there will be a maximum limit of 50 candidates per institution and the offer is free to students for 3 months from registration.
5.	The rationale behind this offer is that demand for Erlang Programmers is increasing and our clients are struggling to find skilled staff. We are being told that companies are choosing not to adopt Erlang because it is hard to recruit! We hope that working with Universities in raising awareness of Erlang will raise interest among the students and encourage them to apply for these positions.
The situation in the US is even more acute, now that Erlang has been identified as a serious contender for scaling systems on multi-core and in cloud environments.
6.	To see our current job vacancies for staff at all levels with these skills, please visit our website career pages at:
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/about/careers/careers-other-countries

If interested, do not hesitate to get in touch with me. We currently have about 180 students signed up, so places are limited. The earlier we can plan in your courses, the better.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Francesco

--
Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com