[erlang-questions] file:open(File, [ram])

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Wed Nov 14 11:22:45 CET 2012

Hi!

On 11/13/2012 05:21 PM, JD Bothma wrote:
> The 'ram' option to file:open/2 seems to implement some functionality
> I want: to treat a file in memory as if it's a file on disk to let a
> library support both disk and in-memory data concisely.

Yes, it's ancient functionality that has never been documented.
> It doesn't look like this option is documented, but it's probably
> useful to many. It looks like it's used by at least erl_tar.
>
> Can this become part of the documented API of the file module?
Yes, absolutely - we have no intention of removing it. It also has test
suites. Just submit a documentation patch on Erlang-patches and you have
a documented interface!

> JD

Cheers,
Patrik