[erlang-questions] rebar help COMMAND

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Mon Nov 12 16:40:21 CET 2012

While I was drafting how to implement a more useful 'rebar help'
command which accepts an argument, I wondered how much interest there
is for such a feature. It is inspired by similar help commands in
other cli tools.

print common help string:
$ rebar help
$ rebar -h
$ rebar --help

print command specific help string for all plugins implementing the
given command:
$ rebar help compile
erlc_compiler:compile
  On 'compile' rebar_erlc_compiler builds sources with the extensions
  *.erl, *.yrl, *.xrl, <...> and accepts the following rebar.config
  erl_opts: [...]

plugin_2:compile
  similar to above

I think such an enhancement can improve the discoverability of rebar
commands and supported options quite a lot.

Is there enough interest that I should try to get this into the next
release?