[erlang-questions] Heap alloc error in lists:foldl/3

Ladislav Lenart lenartlad@REDACTED
Tue Nov 6 15:29:32 CET 2012

Hello.

%% if I use sum, instead of foldsum, everything is ok

This is because foldsum/2 creates a list of 10 000 000 integers (call to
lists:seq/2). And you create Np of such lists in total, each one in a different
process. A list in Erlang is a chain of cons pairs (as in Lisp). Each cons
occupies 2 words, where one word is either 32bits or 64bits, depending on your
HW architecture. Thus one such list takes

    10 000 000 * 8 = 80MB (on 32-bit architecture)

Hence it is fairly possible that your system simply ran out of memory.

The version using sum/2 does not exhibit this behaviour, because it runs in
constant space.

HTH,

Ladislav Lenart