[erlang-questions] EEP 40 - A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Fri Nov 2 11:26:18 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 11:41:46AM +1300, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
:

> Next revision of the EEP:
> [-- Attachment #2: eep-0040.md --]
> [-- Type: application/octet-stream, Encoding: quoted-printable, Size: 16K --]

I think the EEP should elaborate on normalization. It seems to me that
prescribing NFC would be natural since a file consisting of Latin-1
characters is already NFC (Normalized Form C (Composed)).

O.t.o.h that would make the atom fi⁵ different from the atom fi5,
and using NFKC (Normalized Form KC (Compatibility Composed))
would make them equal. I do not know. That fi =:= fi may be
good but that i⁵ =:= i5 may be not good. Anyway normalizing
these character sequences in comments or strings is _not_
desirable. If NFKC would be an option it could only be that
for atoms and variables.