[erlang-questions] Guidance to a cache mechanism

Dmitry Belyaev be.dmitry@REDACTED
Thu Nov 1 21:59:38 CET 2012

Garbage may fill the memory if consumer checks cache too seldom.

--
Dmitry Belyaev

----- Reply message -----
From: "Ian" <hobson42@REDACTED>
To: <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Subject: [erlang-questions] Guidance to a cache mechanism
Date: Thu, Nov 1, 2012 20:16

Hi,

I'm not quite clear on what you want to do, but it appears that you want
to discard messages if they are "too old", for some definition of too
old, and you are proposing a combination of ETS and gen-server to do this.

Why not simply discard messages that are too old when you read them, and
read the next? That, coupled with having no synchronous send/reads to
stall your process, and you are golden.

Or have I missed something?

Ian