[erlang-questions] Is there a good source for documentation on BEAM?

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Mon May 14 15:02:17 CEST 2012

Couldn't some of the bootstrap Perl scripts like beam_makeops and make_tables be
rewritten and documented in Erlang? I think it would make things more obvious if
they were not obscure Perl scripts without comments. Furthermore it would make
Erlang/OTP eat more of its own dog food.

The only thing that would need to be changed with regard to the bootstrap itself
is that their output would have to be versioned just as the erts/preloaded/ BEAM
files. A new command should also be added to otp_build to update them.

Some of these generated files are:

	beam_tr_funcs.h
	beam_pred_funcs.h
	beam_hot.h
	beam_cold.h
	beam_opcodes.c
	beam_opcodes.h
	beam_opcodes.erl
	beam_opcodes.hrl
	erl_am.c
	erl_bif_table.c
	erl_bif_wrap.c
	erl_pbifs.c
	erl_atom_table.h
	erl_bif_table.h

There may be an obvious reason for them not to be generated by Erlang itself but
I'm not aware of it.

Regards.

--
Anthony Ramine